Blog Archive

Monday, February 13, 2012

JJ: What is the worst trouble you've ever gotten into?


I am not a trouble maker. I HATE confrontation and will usually avoid it all costs. That means I don't usually do things that would get me in trouble. Because I get some serious anxiety about the consequences. With that being I said, I used to be stupid. That's right, I USED to be. I know a few of you are reading this and laughing. I know you have tons of stuff to say about that sentence, but it's the truth. I am no longer stupid.

So in that age of stupidity a couple of friends and I decided to visit the local grocery store and make a mess. We knocked stuff off the shelves, opened a few cereal boxes, dumped out some spices, and left. And then one of my friends and I decided to go back the next day and do the same thing all over again. What can I say? We were idiots. So the second day we went back we got caught. And even though we hadn't actually stolen anything, we had destroyed property. And that counted as shoplifting. I remember being caught by store security and having to go to some little room while they called our parents and the cops. I was bawling my eyes out and was insanely embarrassed. Thankfully we didn't get charged with anything. We had to do community service instead. We were only in 5th or 6th grade so I guess they decided to take it easy on the dumb girls.

But it scarred me for life. Maybe because my mother can say more with one look than some mom's can say with a million words. Or maybe because it was a confrontation from my nightmares. Or maybe it was being banned from said grocery store for life. But no matter the reason, it was enough for me to never repeat it. Although I did go back to that store and, if I'm honest, I had a mini anxiety attack when I walked through the doors. Because I was sure that they had my picture plastered on the walls (even after 6+ years) with a big fat X on my face so everyone would know I should be escorted out.

And, that, is the worst trouble I've ever gotten into.

4 comments:

Joan said...

HA!HA!HA! I love the picture you chose to go with this. It really builds the anticipation. Sorry, I think it's hilarious now. Although I have to admit that's more trouble than I've ever been in.

Charlene said...

Great story! That is exactly how I remember it & all of my feelings were & have been the same too, crazy! What is even more ironic is I went to that store (different location) today & remembered all of this. We totally need to get together sometime.

Brooke Imlay Scheurer said...

I never knew this. How did I never know this?!
It probably wasn't comical at the time, but it's kind of funny now.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

LOL!

They probably still have your picture up. FYI! I would avoid that store.

LOL!